by Suzanne on April 20th, 2012
[Please excuse the very long blog absence - I am without a stable internet connection and now terribly behind schedule with posting but I'm planning to brief you about 25 important shows that are currently taking place ALL AROUND THE GLOBE in these next few days. Please be patient while I'm getting hammered in bar after bar in order to find some unprotected Wi-Fi networks. Arggh.]
Girl With Monkey by Colette Calascione, oil on panel, 36 x 24 inches, 2011 – click to enlarge
I haven’t mentioned Colette Calascione on here in over 6 years now which has to do with a general lack of shows and then her website disappearing into the Abyss ov thee Deepnet.
Her works are as allegorical as ever – maybe now a bit more clear-cut and marblelike and the backdrops and backgrounds often even more dazzling in complementary colours and more complex in industrial detail.
Indeed, it almost feels like she has broken the time/space continuum and time travelled back to Christian Schad‘s studio together with Jared Joslin and Alex Gross to indulge in some decadent art deco japonism and probably to visit a cabaret or the Grand Guignol.
Good to see she’s back.
Her solo show will close tomorrow, April 21, so don’t miss it if you’re in New York. All details and links below.
Alia by Colette Calascione, oil on panel, 14 x 11 inches, 2009 – click to enlarge
On show: Mar 15 – Apr 21, 2012
Hours: Tue – Sat: 10 AM – 6 PM
by Suzanne on January 12th, 2006
auf nacktem Baum:
so leicht vibrierend
von lebendigen Blättern
kleidet er sich.
Aber der Schwarm stiebt
liegt mit dem Abend
auf den Zweigen.
Zart ist mein Leib,
entblößt für die Flüge
(19. Februar 1935 by Antonia Pozzi, 1912-1938)
PRO OCULIS – UPDATED PORTFOLIO SITES & E-ZINES
Andy Ward | Art Krush | Art Prostitute | Ben Frost | Blood is the New Black | Clandestina #41 | Elzo.be | FrankenStyles | Greg Houston | Heather Nevay | Hello Duudle | InkSurge | Jotto | Kristian Olson | Le Wub | Masayoshi Mizuho | Not So Simpleton | Shift 110 | Tra Selhtrow
Flyer for When Genevieve Ruled The World
• When Genevieve Ruled The World – She’s already got a pony. She wants the world.
• La Chute de l’Ange – Bittersweet b/w animation about the fall of an angel.
FREE E-BOOKS & AUDIO BOOKS
• The Devil’s Dictionary (by Ambrose Bierce / English)
• The Time Machine (by H. G. Wells / English / Audiobook)
And finally, some incredibly beautiful gems from The Library of Congress’ Rare Book and Special Collections Reading Room for Children’s Literature:
• The 12 magic changelings (by M.A. Glen / English / Illustrated)
• The baby’s own Aesop (by Walter Crane / English / Illu.)
• The Children’s object book (by F. Warne & Co. / English / Illu.)
• The Circus procession (by McLoughlin Bro’s. / English / Illu.)
• Death and burial of poor Cock Robin (by H.L. Stephens / English / Illu.)
• London town (by Thos. Crane & Ellen Houghton / English / Illu.)
• Stories from Hans Andersen (by Andersen & Dulac / English / Illu.)
• Chris Mars interview (by Decent Content)
• Warren Ellis interview (by Michael Avon Oeming for BuzzScope)
PSYCHICK WEBSITE OV THEE DAY
POINTLESS PERSONAL REMARKS THAT NO-ONE IS GOING TO READ ANYWAY #1348976076
Huuuuuuuuge thanks to Meagan and Thomas for sending me Christmas presents. I’d never even dreamt that anyone would actually click on the Amazon® button. You’re not only extremely generous, you also proved that you have exquisite taste. Yoshitomo Nara and Charles Burns are indeed two of my favourite artists/writers ever. Thankies! <3